A True Family Farm




When our boys help in the gardens they represent the fifth generation of the family to work the soil on Kimker Hill. Four generations still live on the farm today. Strong family bonds and a deep love and respect for the earth influence all of our farm practices.

Our gardens provide us with the best and purest of food, matchless beauty, and the ultimate earth science classroom for our homeschooled boys.

Sustainability is a popular buzz word among small scale agriculture. To us it means giving more than you take. Putting back what you use. Remembering that this beautiful earth will last forever and it's our commision to care for. In our gardens we try hard to follow these ideals and work with the earth's design, not against it.



Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tomato Seedlings

I am so excited! I have hundreds of little tomato seedlings in the basement. I just finished watering them. Almost every single seed I planted last Sunday has sprouted and quite of few of the ones I planted just 3 days ago are up too. I'm really pleased with the germination rate of this year's seed.

Next comes the tedious part of transplanting each of them into individual pots. My Grandma is coming to help, she's been looking forward to this for a while now. I took her downstairs yesterday to see the progress. She says this is the best time of the year.

2 comments:

Tom Myler (scoodog) said...

Excellent! Sounds great. I've forgotten -- do you guys sell tomato plants at the Farmers Markets, or are these just the plants you'll use?

Are you growing Sun Gold cherry tomatoes? They are so delicious!

Tom Myler

Kimker Hill Farm said...

Thanks Tom! I do sell some of the plants at the markets, although the majority are for our garden. We plant about 300 tomato plants each year.

I will be bringing some of them to the April 10th St Louis Community Farmers' Market.

As for the second question, no, I don't grow Sun Golds. I do grow Yellow Pear tomatoes and Reisentraube tomatoes (meaning large grape in German) and my mom's tomatoes, Sherry's Cherries. These are our personal favorites of the cherry tomato varieties.